Perfect Looking Skin in 5 Steps
When I launched my business in 1996, it was grounded in the philosophy that everyone can create a naturally flawless complexion. It doesn’t matter your age or skin type, there are colors and products to help you achieve this goal.
- Moisturizer You must moisturize to prepare the skin before your makeup application. You don’t have to spend an enormous amount of money on skincare. The key is to get what is right for your skin type — something that will hydrate to make the skin look and feel moisturized. The most ideal time moisturize is directly after a shower, as skin is still moist and has been “steamed” from the shower. The product will penetrate better and deeper when the skin is fresh from the shower.
- Eye Cream Apply eye cream to care for the delicate eye area and help create the perfect canvas to begin makeup application.
- Primer Set the stage for a lasting makeup with a primer. There are many primers to choose from, everything from an oil-free or hydrating or even illuminating primers. My favorite is Primer Radiance because it not only holds the makeup on all day and creates a smooth surface for foundation application but it also gives the skin the appearance of good health and vitality. Massage a small amount onto the skin.
- Foundation Use foundation to even out your skin, or just a tinted moisturizer for discrete coverage. Apply with a sponge for the most “skin like” appearance. Start by applying a small amount of foundation to the back of your hand. With a sponge, pick up foundation and apply in a “press-and-roll” motion. This ensures that the foundation “marries” with the skin and doesn’t sit on the surface. Start at the jawline and move inwards, working in one area at a time. Avoid applying too much to facial folds and creases near nose and mouth. If you prefer a tinted moisturizer, apply with your fingertips as you would a moisturizer.
- Concealer Sometimes a little “secret” concealing is needed for those unexpected moments when a blemish or redness makes an unwelcome appearance. With a concealer brush, mix the two shades in the Secret Camouflage (only for the face, not under the eye) together on the back of your hand until you get a color match to your skin and apply directly to blemishes, redness and dark spots. If needed, you can lightly pat with fingertip to blend in. For under eye, use something more emollient like Secret Concealer, apply a small amount only where darkness is present and lightly set with powder.
- Powder Set the makeup with a translucent powder. This step guarantees that your foundation lasts and creates the perfect texture to apply powder blush, bronzers, etc. Apply your powder with a puff. Tap a small amount of translucent powder into its lid and with the puff folded in half, pickup the powder. Lightly tap off excess on the back of your hand and then fold the puff in half again and begin “pressing-and-rolling” onto your face. This technique ensures that the powder makes contact with the foundation. To your fingertips, skin should feel smooth. If the skin feels “tacky” to the touch, repeat application where needed.
Laura Mercer, the pioneer of the “Flawless Face,” is a world-renowned makeup artist and creator of Laura Mercier Cosmetics, Skincare, Body & Bath and Fragrance. Laura is the innovative force behind the brand’s iconic products, French aesthetic and artistry techniques.